Thursday, March 11, 2010

OH I felt the burn!

There are moments in your life when you sit down and think what have I gotten myself into? 30 minutes before my hot yoga class started I had this very thought! I was instructed not to eat dinner because the heat can make you want to throw up and I was supposed to drink as much water as possible before the class so I wouldn't be dehydrated and get a headache. Still a bit naive to the whole situation I hurried off with towel in hand.
As I walked through the glass doors into the class room my lungs filled with steamy, moist air. I met my friend Jamie who greeted me by saying "It's hotter than normal in here!" Oh dear! As the panic started to take over I quietly placed my yoga mat on the floor and wiped the small sweat beads off my forehead. I could do this! After all, I've given birth. This can't be any harder. As the small but intense instructor took her place at the front of the class I felt sweat run all the way down my back. Adorable pro yoga girls all around me started getting into the positions the instructor called out. At this point it was either the panic or heat that took over. Not sure which one but lets just say I wasn't doing things 100% correct. Luckily, I had a pro next to me who would quietly whisper what I was doing wrong and show me how to do it. YEAH!
30 minutes later I lay down on my mat to do some breathing exercises and I think to myself, YES! you've done it! Nice job Trish! See that wasn't so bad. My moment of bliss is harshly interrupted when the instructor yells out "Now that the warm up is over we'll begin the real yoga."
Oh right, this is an hour and a half class. As, I drag my soaking wet body off the mat and into some airplane position I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I can't help but laugh! My skin that started the class pale white is now red as a tomato. The cute ponytail I arrived with is now a wet, matted mess hanging at my neck and I can see my belly button through my wet white tank top! What was I thinking wearing a white tank top?!?
When the class finished, I slowly got up. Had I really just worked out in a sauna? I drove home on my already wet towel and ran upstairs to shower. I have to say, after giving birth, that was the 2nd best shower of my life!!!
In all seriousness, it was a really good workout. However, I laughed when they called me this morning to ask when I'd be booking another session!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I don't think I'd make it at hot yoga. I loved the post - you are a great storyteller!

    ReplyDelete